Note: There are several ways make your Creator courses more engaging for your employees, and thus more effective. When creating courses, it is helpful to consider how adults learn, and if there are any adjustments that can be made to increase knowledge retention.
Considerations while using Creator
This will only translate text in the Slide Properties and Course Settings, text on slides themselves will not be translated. Best practice: Always have a native speaker review the translated material before exporting as a course.
To learn more, see Creator: Translate Creator Content.
Adding Voice Over
Adding voice over is a great way to make your courses more accessible. This will also ensure that your slides will automatically advance, when the voice over is complete. There are two ways to add voice over:
- Microphone icon: Add voice over directly to the slide
- Speaker icon: Add pre-recorded voice over file
- This is a good option if you would like to edit the audio file
Attaching Remediation Questions to Questions in your course is a good way to increase knowledge retention and give employees a second chance if they chose the incorrect answer. A Remediation Question must immediately follow a Question Slide and will include a Remediation Slide for instruction, followed by the Remediation Question Slide.
For more information, see Creator: Add Remediation Questions
A professional microphone is not necessary when using Creator. However, microphones are recommended if you would like to increase the sound quality for your Creator course.
- Professional USB Mic using cardioid setting for voice over
- The Alchemy Learning Team uses the Blue Yeti mic
- Creator audio - This is easy to use and will record directly into the slide
- Third-party audio - Recommended if you would like to edit the audio before attaching it to the course
- Alchemy Training uses Audacity for third-party audio
Audacity best practices
Audacity is a free audio editing software that you can use to record and edit voice over for Creator courses.
- Record individual tracks for each slide
- Select File > Export to save
- Record all tracks, then edit them
- Unwanted noise through the entire track? Use Edit > Noise Reduction
- Unwanted noise in a specific section? Select the Silence Audio button
- Level the entire track with the Effect > Compressor option
- Select File > Export to save edits
- Source your own photos - a great option especially for courses focusing on workplace specific tasks/GMPS/safety
- Buy online
- Alchemy uses Shutterstock.com
- Keep in mind, the minimum size requirement: 1920 x 1440
- .wmv or .mp4 files allowed
- Alchemy Training uses Camtasia to edit videos
- Minimum size recommendation: 800 x 600
- If using a smart phone, film horizontally
- Shorter videos work best (+/- 5 minutes)
- Point Slides: 267 Characters
- Question Text: 276 Characters
- Answer Text: 100 Characters
- Game show Text: 80 Characters